Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What I really crave this month...

In an effort to not turn legalistic during food month, I relaxed for our weekend getaway to Estes Park.  My hubby and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary surrounded by family and good friends.  The tradition of staying in the cabins at the YMCA of the Rockies started thirty-two years ago with my family.  We are always thrilled we can share this experience with Madi & Abe now.

And with any good tradition in my family, food is always involved.  We have certain foods we have to have and certain nights we have to eat them.  It is a refined process that took us many years to perfect.  And when you have found that perfect balance, you don't mess with it.

However, I was in the middle of our Food month with "7", and so it was a thought constant in my mind throughout the whole weekend.  We enjoyed lots of good foo.  We enjoyed lots of food not on the "7" list.  And I was o.k. with that.

But more than anything this month, I have been craving simplicity in my cooking.  Even more than I have already done.  I crave to simplify the ingredients we use.  I crave to simplify the amount we eat.  I crave to simplify how often we eat and why we eat.  I crave food for nourishment and not for entertainment.  And that was highlighted this weekend.  Often what we ate was for entertainment.  And afterward I felt sick.  I realize that my body really does respond to food and if I pay attention I can see how differently it responds when I feed it healthy versus when I feed it junk.

So, that is one thing I will continue to take with me.  I long to continue to have God shape my view of food to be healthy and for life sustaining enjoyment.  It makes a huge difference, there is no doubt.


No comments:

Post a Comment